Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Disbelief is an escape (Osama is dead!)

This week i've heard more conspiracy theories then I ever want to hear. Firstly I'll say I'm no stranger to conspiracy theories, my parents are two of the biggest conspiracy theorists I know. Imagine my surprise this week, our country should feel good about Bin Laden's death but instead increasingly all I hear is denial and theories. "I don't believe it." "Somethings fishy." "They said this, they said that." "It's fake." Damn does anyone believe in our commander-in-chief anymore?

My main point is when did disbelief become the new source of hope? This is not the matrix, everything is real and the world is a hard, sucky place. It is so obvious to me how hopeful people are that everything they are being told is lies or someones master scheme. Just so they can justify why their miserable existence is indeed so miserable.

I'm no fool, any body of power cannot flourish with full transparency. But they do tell us the things we can handle. I'm happy for the folks who have turned Osama's death into a reason to goto the club, sing, yell, and celebrate. But I'm disappointed in the larger group at the other end of the spectrum. Yes this world is a sad terrible place, but damn accept it and beyond it. Increasingly more and more I am realizing how many things in this world people use to escape, in the hopes there is more or something better to discover. Even I here on the internet am escaping from life, but really do you think President Obama would lie about the most prolific terrorist's death, so you nay sayers could poke holes in his deeds as president some more? His speech at the correspondents dinner struck me as odd, but now it is clear he was already aware of the pending victory, and before the world knew he was already celebrating.

I think we all should stop being foolish and attempt to sit back and enjoy this moment, It is a victory for us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment